LIMOUX, town in the department of Aude, *Languedoc, southern France. The existence of a Jewish community there is confirmed toward the end of the 13th century. Its privileges were withdrawn in 1292, as were also those of a number of other Jewish communities in Languedoc, but were restored in 1299. In 1302, the Jews of Limoux, again together with those of other localities in Languedoc, were freed by *Philip IV (the Fair), from liability to prosecution by inquisitors. At the beginning of the 14th century, some Jews from Limoux were living in Narbonne. A new community may have been constituted after 1315; this would be the one referred to in the Shevet Yehudah (ed. by A. Shochet, p. 149) under the name לשמאדש as having been massacred by the *Pastoureaux in 1320.
G. Saige, Les Juifs du Languedoc (1881), 29, 33, 286; Gross, Gal Jud, 313–4; REJ, 2 (1881), 31; ibid., 38 (1899), 106.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.