LERER, JOSHUA (1920– ), ḥazzan. Born in Jerusalem to a family of cantors, Lerer studied ḥazzanut under Shelomo Zalman *Rivlin and music at the Jerusalem Institute of Music. After serving as cantor in the Har ha-Carmel Synagogue in Haifa for 12 years, and in other communities in Israel, he was appointed chief cantor of the Great Synagogue in Tel Aviv (1956–58). From 1960 to 1974 he was chief cantor in the Shomrei Hadass Synagogue in Antwerp, and in 1975 was re-appointed by the Great Synagogue in Tel Aviv.
[Akiva Zimmerman (2nd ed.)]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.