KEFAR JAWITZ (Heb. כְּפַר יַעְבֵּץ; Kefar Ya'bez), moshav in the southern Sharon, Israel, near Tel Mond, affiliated to Ha-Po'el ha-Mizrachi moshavim association. First founded as a moshav in 1932, it suffered from insufficient cultivable land and, situated on what was then the eastern rim of the Jewish settlement zone, it came under frequent attacks in the 1936–39 Arab riots. In the 1948 *War of Independence, Kefar Jawitz was in the line of battle. That year, it was taken over by kibbutz Neẓer Yissakhar, which later became a moshav shittufi but eventually dispersed. In 1953, a moshav of immigrants from Yemen was established and developed intensive farming (citrus groves, cattle, poultry, flowers, and vegetables). In 1969 there were 360 inhabitants, rising to 496 in 2002 due to expansion. The village is named after the historian Zeev *Jawitz.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.