KEFAR HA-MACCABI (Heb. כְּפַר הַמַּכַּבִּי), kibbutz in the Haifa Bay area, Israel, affiliated to Iḥud ha-Kevuẓot ve-ha-Kibbutzim. It was founded in 1936 by pioneers from Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Germany, who were members of the *Maccabi Sports Organization and the Maccabi ha–ẓ. a'ir youth movement. Some of them had come to participate in the *Maccabiah which took place in the country that year, and stayed on "illegally" (see *Immigration, "Illegal"). The kibbutz developed intensive, irrigated farming based on field crops, avocado orchards, dairy cattle, poultry, and fishery; it also went into partnership in a food factory with the neighboring kibbutz, *Ramat Yoḥanan. In 1969 it had 310 inhabitants; in 2002, 291. Kefar ha–Maccabi is named after the Maccabi Organization which contributed funds toward the purchase of its land.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.