KEFAR GIDEON (Heb. כְּפַר גִּדְעוֹן), moshav in the Jezreel Valley, Israel, 1.2 mi. (3 km.) N. of Afulah, affiliated to *Agudat Israel, and founded in 1923 by religious Jews from Romania. An insufficient water supply at first deterred the moshav's progress, but in the 1940s ample groundwater reserves were discovered. After 1948, new immigrants were absorbed into the moshav, which engaged mainly in field crops and dairy cattle. The moshav is named after the biblical figure of Gideon. In 1968 its population was 140; in 2002, 198.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.