KEFAR BLUM (Heb. כְּפַר בְּלוּם), kibbutz in the Ḥuleh Valley, Israel, affiliated to Iḥud ha-Kevuẓot ve-ha-Kibbutzim. It was founded in 1943 on the edge of the malarial swamps existing at the time, by the so-called "Anglo-Baltic" kibbutz, composed of pioneers from the Baltic countries and the first group of the *Iḥud Habonim movement of England. The settlers endeavored to make their kibbutz a focal point for pioneers from English-speaking countries. The kibbutz engaged in intensive farming, including field crops, orchards, poultry, and dairy cattle, and has developed several industrial enterprises, with factories manufacturing automatic irrigation equipment and electric grids. The kibbutz has a large guesthouse, kayaking, and a cultural center. In 2002 its population was 527. The American Nationaler Arbeter Farband (Farband Labor Zionist Order) contributed toward the establishment of Kefar Blum and named it in honor of the French Jewish statesman and socialist leader Leon *Blum.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.