KEFAR AKKO (Heb. כְּפַר עַכּוֹ), village mentioned in the Tosefta as the seat of R. Judah b. Agra (Kil. 1:12) and in the Babylonian Talmud as a place from which 1,500 people made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem (Ta'an. 21a). Some scholars have identified it with the Caphareccho appearing in one version of Josephus' writings (Wars, 2:573). If, however, the location of Kefar Akko at Tell al-Fukhkār outside Acre is accepted, it cannot correspond to the locality mentioned by Josephus since the latter is included in the list of his fortifications and Josephus would hardly have fortified a suburb of Acre, the headquarters of his enemy Vespasian.
Saarisalo, in: JPOS, 9 (1929), 27ff.; Avi-Yonah, in: IEJ, 3 (1953), 96–97.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.