KANEV, port on the Dnieper River in Kiev district, Ukraine. Jewish settlement began in the end of the 17th century or the beginning of the 18th. From 98 (including the surrounding villages) in 1765, the Jewish population grew to 1,635 in 1847 and 2,682 (30% of the total population) in 1897. On the eve of WWI most of the petty trade in town was in Jewish hands, all groceries and textile shops as well as others. On November 6, 1917, local hoodlums ransacked many Jewish properties; this happened again in the beginning of autumn 1919 by General *Denikin's soldiers. The number of Jews in 1926 was 1,305 (17.2%), and it dropped to 487 in 1939 (total population 8,020). In the 1920s there was a two-grade school with 59 pupils. Kanev was occupied by the Germans on August 16, 1941. The Jews who remained were herded into one building under horrible conditions and robbed of all their property. After two months they were taken to Korsun and murdered in November 1941 together with the local Jews. Kanev was liberated on February 3, 1944.
[Shmuel Spector (2nd ed.)]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.