KADOORIE (Heb. כַּדּוּרִי), Israel agricultural school at the northern foot of Mt. Tabor in Lower Galilee, founded in 1933 and named for Sir Elly Silas *Kadoorie whose contribution to the Palestine Mandate government made possible the establishment of the Jewish school and a similar school for Arabs at *Tūl Karm. During the Arab riots of 1936–39, the *Haganah organized Kadoorie's pupils for self-defense, and during World War II, the nucleus of the *Palmaḥ was formed there, making the school a Palmaḥ training and organizational center. In agricultural education Kadoorie emphasized branches of hill farming.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.