JUNGHOLZ, village in the Haut-Rhin department, E. France. There is evidence that there were Jews in Jungholz in the second half of the 15th century, but there is no further record of another settlement until the beginning of the 18th century. The community was at its height in 1784 with 215 members, but the number had fallen to 12 by 1880. At the end of the 17th century, the elders of the Jewish community of *Ribeauvillé acquired the right to bury their dead at Jungholz, in a site on the outskirts of the village. Around the end of the 18th century, this cemetery, successively and officially enlarged, served 35 communities in upper Alsace. From the 19th century, when numerous communities acquired local cemeteries, the Jungholz burial ground lost its importance. The six communities who used it erected there a memorial to their World War II dead.
M. Ginsburger, Der israelitische Friedhof zu Jungholz (1904); Z. Szajkowski, Analytical Franco-Jewish Gazetteer (1966), 251.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.