IPSWICH, town in southeastern England. A medieval community existed there until 1290 with its own *archa. However, relatively little is known about it. Jews began to resettle in the mid-18th century. A synagogue was built in 1792 and a cemetery acquired in 1796. During the French Revolution, the Jews were suspected of Jacobin sympathies and the magistrates had to intervene to save them from attack. The community ceased to exist during the 19th century. At the outset of the 21st century, no Jewish institutions existed in Ipswich.
Abrahams, in: JHSET, 2 (1894–95), index; Davis, in: East Anglian, 3 (1889–90), 89–93, 105f., 123–7; C. Roth, Rise of Provincial Jewry (1950), 71–4; Roth, England, index. ADD BIBLIOGRAPHY: M. Brown, "The Jews of Norfolk and Sufflok Before 1840," in: JHSET, 32 (1990–92), 219–36; idem, "An Ipswich Worthy Portrayed by John Constable," in: JHSET, 33 (1992–4), 137–40.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.