HA-MA'PIL (Heb. חַמַּעְפִּיל), kibbutz in central Israel in the Hefer Plain, affiliated with Ha-Kibbutz ha-Arẓi Ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir, founded in 1945 by pioneers from Eastern and Central Europe, some of whom were veterans of World War II. It engaged in intensive farming, including field crops, citrus groves, fruit plantations, fishery, poultry, beehives, and dairy cattle. The kibbutz also operated a stocking and plastics factories. In 2002 the population was 465. The name, meaning "ascender," alludes to the ha'palah (see *Illegal Immigration).
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.