GAN YAVNEH (Heb. גַּן יַבְנֶה), town in the coastal plain of Israel, southwest of *Yavneh. The municipal council area is 4 sq. mi. (10.5 sq. km.). It was founded as a moshavah in 1931 by a Zionist group, the Aḥuzah society in New York, most of whose members failed to arrive. The moshavah was considerably enlarged by new immigrants in 1949 and in 1950 received its municipal council status. The population of the settlement constantly grew, reaching 2,840 inhabitants in 1968, 4,790 in the mid-1990s, and 12,200 at the end of 2002. Its name refers to the historical site of Jabneh, which is 5½ mi. (9 km.) away.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.