GAN SHOMRON (Heb. גַּן שׁוֹמְרוֹן), moshav in central Israel, northeast of *Ḥaderah, founded in 1934 by middle-class settlers from Germany and unaffiliated with any moshav association. It expanded after 1945, when World War II veterans and new immigrants settled there. Its economy was based on intensive farming (especially citriculture). The name Gan Shomron refers to the location of the village near the Samaria Hills. In 1969 its population was 322, rising to 599 in 2002.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.