ETTLINGEN, town in Baden, Germany. The Jews living there at the time of the *Black Death, 1348–49, suffered from persecution. At assemblies of the regional Estates held in 1588, 1589, and 1591, the representatives of Ettlingen pressed for the expulsion of the Jews from the city. There were two Jewish families living in Ettlingen in 1683. In 1729 a "protected" Jew, Mayer (originally from Malsch), had to leave his home near the castle and was permitted to build a house of medium size near the town square. The Jews of Ettlingen paid a protection tax of 16 florins in the 18th century, which was reduced to 8 florins in 1812. A prayer hall was opened in 1812 and a synagogue in 1849; it was replaced by a building in Renaissance style in 1889. The community numbered 33 in 1825 and 70 in 1900. In 1933 there were 48 Jews in the city, joined later by 31 from other locales. About two-thirds emigrated or left for other German cities during the Nazi era and the rest were deported. On Nov. 10, 1939, the synagogue was demolished.
Fuehrer durch die juedische Wohlfahrtspflege (1932/33), 348; Germ Jud, 2 (1968), 232–3; F.M. Hundsnurscher and G. Taddey, Die juedischen Gemeinden in Baden (1967), index.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.