DUNEDIN, city in Otago, New Zealand. Five Jewish families had settled in Dunedin, the most southern Jewish community in the world, before the discovery of gold in Otago in 1861. In 1862, the congregation had a membership of 43, including the poet and novelist Benjamin *Farjeon. Jacob *Saphir of Jerusalem, then visiting Dunedin, wrote a megillah for reading on Purim. The first synagogue was consecrated in 1864. A number of congregational activities were initiated while B. Lichenstein was minister, from 1875 to 1892. A synagogue was built in 1881. From 1884 D.E. Theomin headed the community for almost 30 years. Wolf Heinemann, professor and examiner in German and Hebrew at Otago University from 1895, lectured in the synagogue and founded the Dunedin Zionist Society in 1905. Other ministers included A.T. Chodowski, who officiated
L.M. Goldman, History of the Jews in New Zealand (1958), index; Journal and Proceedings of the Australian Jewish Historical Society, 1 (1943), 154–60; 2 (1948), 202–12, 269–80, 394–400; New Zealand Jewish Review and Communal Directory (1931), 19, 47, 69. ADD. BIBLIOGRAPHY: S. Levine, The New Zealand Jewish Community (1999), index; JYB 2004.
[Maurice S. Pitt]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.