CANTERBURY, cathedral city, Kent, England. Canterbury possessed one of the most important medieval Anglo-Jewish communities, first mentioned c. 1160. The Jewish quarter was in the modern Jewry Street. Traces of the synagogue were to be seen in the High Street as late as the 17th century. Canterbury was the seat of one of the local *archa instituted after 1190 for registering Jewish-held debts. The names of 20 Jewish Canterbury householders figure in the *Northampton Donum of 1194: the contribution of the Jews of Canterbury on this occasion was exceeded only by those from London and Lincoln. In the levy of 1255, however, they ranked only eighth. The community was attacked in 1261 and again in 1264, when the archa was seized and several Jews were killed. Subsequently,
Adler, in: JHSET, 7 (1911–14), 19–96; M. Adler, Jews of Medieval England (1939), 47–124; House of Jacob the Jew of Canterbury (1953); Rigg, Exchequer, passim; C. Roth, Rise of Provincial Jewry (1950), 46–49; idem, Intellectual Activities of Medieval English Jewry (1949), 13, 29–32; Roth, England, index. ADD. BIBLIOGRAPHY: D. Cohn-Sherbok, The Jews of Canterbury, 1760–1931 (1984).
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.