ANAPA, Black Sea port and resort, Krasnodar territory, Russia. Jews settled there during the rule of King
(first century C.E.). It came under the rule of the
Kingdom, and subsequently under that of the Turks. When the Russians occupied Anapa in 1828 no Jews were living there. The law of Dec. 15, 1846, allowed only Jewish craftsmen to settle, and in 1892 almost all Jews were banned from the Kuban territory, which included Anapa. There were 19 Jews in the town in 1897. During the German occupation (1942–43), Anapa was almost totally destroyed.