ANANYEV (Ananiev), city in Odessa district, Ukraine. Ananyev was founded in 1753. Jews began to settle there in the beginning of the 19th century. In the 1820s the community owned a synagogue and cemetery; it numbered 532 in 1856 and 992 in 1864. A talmud torah operated from 1880. Mob attacks in a pogrom that took place on April 27, 1881, destroyed 175 Jewish homes and 14 shops; the poorer Jewish sector in the outskirts suffered most. A second, less damaging pogrom broke out on Oct. 17, 1905. Another pogrom, carried out by Ukrainian soldiers, occurred in February 1919, with many killed. On May 22, the marauding antisemitic Grigoryev gang killed 44 Jews and pillaged much property. In early 1920, in a battle with the Tutyunyuk gang, the Jewish *self-defense unit lost 220 of its 300 fighters.
The Jewish population numbered 3,527 in 1897 (out of a total population of 16,684), 4,810 in 1910 (out of 22,157), and 3,516 in 1926 (out of 18,230). Between the world wars Jews worked in a textile cooperative and in a Jewish kolkhoz. Their number dropped to 1,779 by 1939 (total population 5,918). Ananyev was occupied by the Germans on August 7, 1941. Three hundred Jews were murdered on August 28, and later another 600. On September 1, Ananyev was made part of Transnistria under Romanian rule and a ghetto was established for the remaining 300 Jews. In early October they were ordered to set off for *Dubossary but were murdered on the way near the village of Mostovoye. In 1990 there were 30 Jews in Ananyev.
Judenpogrome in Russland, 2 (1909), 134–7; Yevrei v SSSR, 4 (1929); PK Romanyah, 398, Ukrainah, S.V.
[Shmuel Spector (2nd ed.)]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.