AMERICAN ISRAELITE, U.S. Anglo-Jewish weekly, founded by Isaac Mayer *Wise in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1854. The Israelite (its name was changed in 1874), edited by Wise until his death, served as a platform for his ideas, and, though run haphazardly, was replete with historical and theological articles as well as news items from all parts of the Jewish world. On Wise's death (1900) his son Leo, business manager from 1875, became editor. In 1928 he was succeeded by Rabbi Jonah *Wise. The family sold the paper in 1930, and its work was then carried on by H.C. Segal (d. 1985). It is the oldest Jewish journal in the U.S., though by the mid-20th century reduced to a local community bulletin. In 1855 Wise had added to The Israelite a German supplement, Die Deborah. Later published as a separate journal, this paper did not long survive Wise's death.
[Sefton D. Temkin]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.