ALISTÁL (Slov. Dolny Stal, today Hrobonovo; Heb. אלישטאבא, העלישטאבא), village in Slovakia, near Bratislava. A community was established at Alistál in the 14th century by Jews from Bohemia and Moravia, who exported horses from the nearby royal stables. A synagogue was built in 1579. A community is mentioned again in records of 1780. Jews without residential rights in Pressburg (Bratislava) were enabled to live in Alistál under royal protection. In 1929 the Jewish population in Alistál and environs numbered 259; approximately half were occupied in agriculture. The community came to an end during World War II.
Magyar Zsidó Lexikon (1929), 26. ADD. BIBLIOGRAPHY: E. Bárkány and L. Dojč, Židovské náboženské obce na Slovensku (1991), 163–64.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.