by Zvi Volk
Born in Lodz, Poland, Aharon Katzir was brought to Eretz Yisrael in 1925. He studied and then taught at the Hebrew University. In 1948, he became head of the Polymer Research Department of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, and in 1952 became a professor of physical chemistry at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
Aharon Katzir was a pioneer in the study of the electrochemistry of biopolymers. He received the Israel Prize in 1961 and was president of the Israel Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1962-1968.
He was killed by a Japanese terrorist at Lod (Ben-Gurion) airport in 1972.
Source: The Pedagogic Center, The Department for Jewish Zionist Education, The Jewish Agency for Israel, (c) 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, Director: Dr. Motti Friedman, Webmaster: Esther Carciente