The General Assembly,
Taking note of the report of the Secretary-General submitted in pursuance of its resolution 54/74 of 6 December 1999, 1/
Taking note also of the report of the United Nations Conciliation Commission for Palestine for the period from 1 September 1999 to 31 August 2000, 2/
Recalling that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights 3/ and the principles of international law uphold the principle that no one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his or her property,
Recalling in particular its resolution 394 (V) of 14 December 1950, in which it directed the Conciliation Commission, in consultation with the parties concerned, to prescribe measures for the protection of the rights, property and interests of the Palestine Arab refugees,
Noting the completion of the programme of identification and evaluation of Arab property, as announced by the Conciliation Commission in its twenty-second progress report, 4/ and the fact that the Land Office had a schedule of Arab owners and file of documents defining the location, area and other particulars of Arab property,
Recalling that, in the framework of the Middle East peace process, the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Government of Israel agreed, in the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements of 13 September 1993, 5/ to commence negotiations on permanent status issues, including the important issue of the refugees,
1. Reaffirms that the Palestine Arab refugees are entitled to their property and to the income derived therefrom, in conformity with the principles of justice and equity;
2. Requests the Secretary-General to take all appropriate steps, in consultation with the United Nations Conciliation Commission for Palestine, for the protection of Arab property, assets and property rights in Israel;
3. Expresses its appreciation for the work done to preserve and modernize the existing records of the Commission;
4. Calls once more upon Israel to render all facilities and assistance to the Secretary-General in the implementation of the present resolution;
5. Calls upon all the parties concerned to provide the Secretary-General with any pertinent information in their possession concerning Arab property, assets and property rights in Israel that would assist him in the implementation of the present resolution;
6. Urges the Palestinian and Israeli sides, as agreed between them, to deal with the important issue of Palestine refugees' properties and their revenues in the framework of the final status negotiations of the Middle East peace process;
7. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its fifty-sixth session on the implementation of the present resolution.
83rd plenary meeting
2/ A/55/329, annex.
3/ Resolution 217 A (III).
4/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Nineteenth Session, Annexes, Annex No. 11, document A/5700.
5/ A/48/486-S/26560, annex.
Sources: The United Nations