The General Assembly,
Recalling its relevant resolutions and the resolutions of the Commission on Human Rights,
Bearing in mind the relevant resolutions of the Security Council, the most recent of which are resolutions 904 (1994) of 18 March 1994 and 1073 (1996) of 28 September 1996,
Having considered the reports of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories 1/ and the reports of the Secretary-General, 2/
Aware of the responsibility of the international community to promote human rights and ensure respect for international law,
Reaffirming the principle of the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by force,
Reaffirming also the applicability of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, 3/ to the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967,
Welcoming the signing of the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements by the Government of the State of Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization in Washington on 13 September 1993, 4/ as well as the subsequent implementation agreements, including the Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip signed in Washington on 28 September 1995,
Noting the withdrawal of the Israeli army, which took place in the Gaza Strip and the Jericho Area in accordance with the agreements reached between the parties, and the initiation of the Palestinian Authority in those areas,
Noting also the redeployment of the Israeli army from six cities in the West Bank,
Concerned about the continuing violation of the human rights of the Palestinian people by Israel, the occupying Power, especially the use of collective punishment, closure of areas, annexation and establishment of settlements and the continuing actions by it designed to change the legal status, geographical nature and demographic composition of the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem,
Expressing its deep concern in particular over the closure by the Israeli authorities of the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, which prevents the freedom of movement of persons and goods and is the cause of great economic and social hardship, in violation of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, and the agreements reached between the two sides,
Convinced of the positive impact of a temporary international or foreign presence in the occupied Palestinian territory for the safety and protection of the Palestinian people,
Expressing its appreciation to the countries that participated in the Temporary International Presence in Hebron for their positive contribution,
Convinced of the need for the full implementation of Security Council resolutions 904 (1994) and 1073 (1996),
1. Determines that all measures and actions taken by Israel, the occupying Power, in the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, in violation of the relevant provisions of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, 3/ and contrary to the relevant resolutions of the Security Council, are illegal and have no validity and that such measures should cease immediately;
2. Demands that Israel, the occupying Power, cease all practices and actions which violate the human rights of the Palestinian people;
3. Calls for an immediate end of the closure and the assurance of the freedom of movement of persons and goods within the Palestinian territory and with the outside world in conformity with international law and the agreements reached;
4. Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to accelerate the release of all remaining Palestinians arbitrarily detained or imprisoned, in line with agreements reached;
5. Calls for complete respect by Israel, the occupying Power, of all fundamental freedoms of the Palestinian people, pending the extension of the self-government arrangements to the rest of the occupied territory;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its fifty-second session on the implementation of the present resolution.
83rd plenary meeting
1/ See A/51/99 and Add.1-3.
2/ A/51/514 and A/51/516-518.
3/ United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 75, No. 973.
4/ A/48/486-S/26560, annex; see Official Records of the Security
Sources: The United Nations