The General Assembly,
Recalling the Vancouver Declaration on Human Settlements, 1976,1/ and the relevant recommendations for national action 2/ adopted by Habitat: United Nations Conference on Human Settlements,
Recalling also its resolution 42/190 of 11 December 1987,
Taking into account the intifadah of the Palestinian people against the Israeli occupation, including its economic and social policies and practices,
Gravely alarmed by the continuation of the Israeli settlement policies in the Palestinian territory occupied by Israel since 1967, including Jerusalem, which have been declared null and void and a major obstacle to peace,
Taking into account the need of the secretariat of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development for extra funds to prepare the comprehensive study on the economy of the occupied Palestinian territory requested by the Trade and Development Board in its resolution 239 (XXIII) of 9 October 1981,3/
1. Takes note of the study annexed to the note by the Secretary-General concerning the infrastructure needs of the Palestinian people;4/
2. Calls for the immediate cessation of the Israeli practices against the Palestinian people, particularly in the economic and social fields;
3. Expresses its alarm at the deterioration, as a result of the Israeli occupation, in the living conditions of the Palestinian people in the Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, occupied since 1967;
4. Affirms that the Israeli occupation is contradictory to the basic requirements for the social and economic development of the Palestinian people in the occupied Palestinian territory;
5. Rejects the Israeli plans and actions intended to change the demographic composition of the occupied Palestinian territory, in particular the increase and expansion of the Israeli settlements;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to make available to the secretariat of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development from the United Nations regular budget the extra funds needed to prepare the comprehensive study on the economy of the occupied Palestinian territory;
7. Also requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its forty-sixth session, through the Economic and Social Council, on the progress made in the implementation of the present resolution.
* * *
2/ Ibid., chap. II.
3/ See Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-sixth Session, Supplement No. 15 and corrigendum (A/36/15 and Corr.1), part three annex I.
RECORDED VOTE ON RESOLUTION 44/174: 146-2-8
In favour: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Byelorussia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus, Czechoslovakia, Democratic Kampuchea, Democratic Yemen, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, German Democratic Republic, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Syria, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, USSR, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Yugoslavia, Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Against: Israel, United States.
Abstaining: Canada, Dominica, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Federal Republic of Germany, Grenada, Netherlands, United Kingdom.
Absent: Belize, Saint Kitts and Nevis.
Sources: The United Nations