United Nations General Assembly Resolution 43/48
November 30, 1988
The General Assembly,
Recalling Article 105 of the Charter of the United Nations and the Agreement between the United Nations and the United States of America regarding the Headquarters of the United Nations, dated 26 June 1947,1/
Recalling also its resolution 3237 (XXIX) of 22 November 1974, in which, inter alia, it invited the Palestine Liberation Organization to participate in the sessions and the work of the General Assembly in the capacity of observer,
Affirming the right of Member States and observers freely to designate the members of their delegation to participate in the sessions and the work of the General Assembly,
Having been apprised that the Palestine Liberation Organization, in conformity with the usual practice, had requested through the Secretary-General an entry visa for Mr. Yasser Arafat, Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization, in order to participate in the forty-third session of the General Assembly,
Having been informed of the decision of the host country to deny the requested visa, in violation of its international legal obligations under the Agreement,
Endorsing the opinion of the Legal Counsel of the United Nations rendered on 28 November 1988,2/
1. Affirms the right of the Palestine Liberation Organization freely to designate the members of its delegation to participate in the sessions and the work of the General Assembly;
2. Deplores the failure by the host country to approve the granting of the requested entry visa;
3. Considers that this decision by the Government of the United States of America, the host country, constitutes a violation of the international legal obligations of the host country under the Agreement between the United Nations and the United States of America regarding the Headquarters of the United Nations;
4. Urges the host country to abide scrupulously by the provisions of the Agreement and to reconsider and reverse its decision;
5. Requests the Secretary-General to submit a report on the developments in this matter no later than 1 December 1988.
* * *
ROLL-CALL VOTE ON RESOLUTION 43/48: 151-2-1
In favour: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Byelorussia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus, Czechoslovakia, Democratic Kampuchea, Democratic Yemen, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, German Democratic Republic, Federal Republic of Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Syria, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, USSR, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Yugoslavia, Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Against: Israel, United States.
Abstaining: United Kingdom.
Absent: Dominica, Grenada, Paraguay*, St. Kitts and Nevis.
Source: The United Nations.