United Nations General Assembly Resolution 42/166
December 11, 1987
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 41/181 of 8 December 1986,
Taking note of Economic and Social Council resolution 1987/77 of 8 July 1987,
Recalling the Programme of Action for the Achievement of Palestinian Rights, adopted by the International Conference on the Question of Palestine,1/
Aware of the need to provide economic and social assistance to the Palestinian people,
Noting the meeting on assistance to the Palestinian people, held at Geneva on 19 June 1987 in response to resolution 41/181,
1. Takes note with appreciation of the report of the Secretary-General on assistance to the Palestinian people;2/
2. Welcomes the preparation of the programme of economic and social assistance to the Palestinian people set out in the report of the Secretary-General;3/
3. Requests the Secretary-General to develop the programme and seek its early implementation in close co-operation with the Palestine Liberation Organization and to co-ordinate the activities envisaged by various organizations of the United Nations system within the framework of the programme;
4. Also requests the Secretary-General to mobilize resources for the programme in close co-operation with the Palestine Liberation Organization;
5. Urges the international community, the United Nations system and intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations to disburse their aid or any other forms of assistance to the occupied Palestinian territories solely for the benefit of the Palestinian people and in a manner that will not serve to prolong the Israeli occupation;
6. Requests the international community, the United Nations system and intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations to sustain and increase their assistance to the Palestinian people in co-operation with the Palestine Liberation Organization;
7. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its forty-third session, through the Economic and Social Council, on the progress made in the implementation of the present resolution.
2/ A/42/289-E/1987/86 and Add.1 and 2 and Add.2/Corr.1.
3/ A/42/289-E/1987/86, annex.
In favour: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Byelorussia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus, Czechoslovakia, Democratic Kampuchea, Democratic Yemen, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, German Democratic Republic, Federal Republic of Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Spain, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts and Nevis, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Syria, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, USSR, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Yugoslavia, Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Against: Israel, United States.
*Later advised the Secretariat that it had intended to vote in favour.
Source: The United Nations.