The General Assembly,
Recalling the Vancouver Declaration on Human Settlements, 1976,1/ and the relevant recommendations for national action 2/ adopted by Habitat: United Nations Conference on Human Settlements,
Recalling also resolution 3, entitled "Living conditions of the Palestinians in occupied territories", contained in the recommendations for international co-operation adopted by Habitat: United Nations Conference on Human Settlements,3/
Recalling further its resolution 37/222 of 20 December 1982,
Taking note of resolution 6/2 adopted by the Commission on Human Settlements on 4 May 1983,
Gravely alarmed by the continuation of the Israeli settlement policies which have been declared null and void and a major obstacle to peace,
1. Takes note of the report of the Secretary-General on the living conditions of the Palestinian people in the occupied Palestinian territories;4/
2. Takes note also of the statement made by the observer of the Palestine Liberation Organization;5/
3. Rejects the Israeli plans and actions intended to change the demographic composition of the occupied Palestinian territories, particularly the increase and expansion of the Israeli settlements, and other plans and actions creating conditions leading to the displacement and exodus of Palestinians from the occupied Palestinian territories;
4. Expresses its alarm at the deterioration in the living conditions of the Palestinian people in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967 as a result of the Israeli occupation;
5. Affirms that the Israeli occupation is contradictory to the basic requirements for the social and economic development of the Palestinian people in the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip;
6. Calls upon the Israeli occupation authorities to give United Nations experts access to the occupied Palestinian territories;
7. Recognizes the need for a comprehensive report on the impact of the Israeli settlements on the living conditions of the Palestinian people in the occupied Palestinian territories;
8. Requests the Secretary-General to prepare and submit to the General Assembly at its thirty-ninth session, through the Economic and Social Council, a comprehensive report on the current and future impact of the Israeli settlements on the living conditions of the Palestinian people in the occupied Palestinian territories, including a comparison between the living conditions of the latter and those of the residents of the Israeli settlements.
1/ Report of Habitat: United Nations Conference on Human Settlements, Vancouver, 31 May-11 June 1976 (United Nations publication, Sales No. E.76.IV.7 and corrigendum), chap. I.
2/ Ibid., chap. II.
3/ Ibid., chap. III.
5/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-eighth Session, Second Committee, 24th meeting, paras. 1-5.
Sources: The United Nations