United Nations General Assembly Resolution 38/145
December 19, 1983
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 37/134 of 17 December 1982,
Recalling also Economic and Social Council resolution 1983/43 of 25 July 1983,
Recalling further the Geneva Programme of Action adopted by the International Conference on the Question of Palestine,1/
Noting the need to provide economic and social assistance to the Palestinian people,
1. Endorses Economic and Social Council resolution 1983/43;
2. Endorses also decision 83/11 of 24 June 1983 of the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme,2/ in which the Council called upon Governments and intergovernmental organizations to provide additional special contributions to the Programme amounting to at least 8 million dollars during the third programming cycle, so as to ensure the implementation of the United Nations Development Programme assistance programme for the Palestinian people;
3. Requests the Secretary-General:
(a) To convene in 1984 a meeting of the relevant programmes, organizations, agencies and organs of the United Nations system to develop a co-ordinated programme of economic and social assistance to the Palestinian people and to ensure its implementation;
(b) To provide for the participation in the meeting of the Palestine Liberation Organization, the Arab host countries and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations;
(c) To utilize existing inter-agency mechanisms to prepare proposals for assistance projects to be considered at the meeting;
4. Requests that the meeting should look into the most effective inter-agency machinery to co-ordinate and intensify United Nations assistance to the Palestinian people;
5. Requests the relevant programmes, organizations, agencies and organs of the United Nations system to intensify their efforts, in co-operation with the Palestine Liberation Organization, to provide economic and social assistance to the Palestinian people;
6. Also requests that United Nations assistance to the Palestinians in the Arab host countries should be rendered in co-operation with the Palestine Liberation Organization and with the consent of the Arab host Government concerned;
7. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its thirty-ninth session, through the Economic and Social Council, on the progress made in the implementation of the present resolution.
1/ Report of the International Conference on the Question of Palestine, 29 August-7 September 1983 (United Nations publication, Sales No. E.83.I.21), chap. I., sect. B.
2/ See Official Records of the Economic and Social Council, 1983, Supplement No. 9 (E/1983/20), annex I.
Source: The United Nations.