United Nations General Assembly Resolution 32/40
December 2, 1977
AThe General Assembly
Recalling its resolutions 3236 (XXIX) of 22 November 1974, 3376 (XXX) of 10 November 1975 and 31/30 of 24 November 1976,
Having considered the report of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People,1/
Having heard the statement of the Palestine Liberation Organization, the representative of the Palestinian people,2/
Deeply concerned that no just solution to the problem of Palestine has been achieved and that this problem therefore continues to aggravate the Middle East conflict, of which it is the core, and to endanger international peace and security,
Reaffirming that a just and lasting peace in the Middle East cannot be established without the achievement, inter alia, of a just solution of the problem of Palestine on the basis of the attainment of the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, including the right of return and the right to national independence and sovereignty in Palestine,in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations,
Taking note of the resolution on the question of Palestine adopted by the Council of Ministers of the Organization of African Unity at its twenty-ninth ordinary session, held at Libreville from 23 June to 3 July 1977,3/
Taking note of the Declaration on the situation in the Middle East and the question of Palestine adopted by the Ministers for Foreign Affairs of non-aligned countries at their extraordinary meeting in New York on 30 September 1977,4/
Taking note also of the final communiqué of the extraordinary meeting of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the States members of the Islamic Conference, held in New York on 3 October 1977,5/
1. Expresses its appreciation to the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People for its efforts in performing the tasks assigned to it by the General Assembly;
2. Takes note of the report of the Committee and endorses the recommendations contained in paragraphs 43 and 44 of that report;
3. Notes with satisfaction that, during the consideration of the report of the Committee by the Security Council at its 2041st meeting, on 27 October 1977, all members of the Council who participated in the discussion reaffirmed that a just and lasting peace in the Middle East could not be established without the achievement, in particular, of a just solution of the problem of Palestine on the basis of the attainment of the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people;
4. Urges the Security Council to take as soon as possible a decision on the recommendations endorsed by the General Assembly in its resolution 31/20 as a basis for the solution of the problem of Palestine;
5. Decides to circulate the report to all the competent bodies of the United Nations and urges them to take necessary action, as appropriate, in accordance with the Committee's programme of implementation;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to transmit the reports of the Committee to all conferences on the Middle East held under the auspices of the United Nations, including the Geneva Peace Conference on the Middle East;
7. Authorizes the Committee to continue to exert all efforts to promote the implementation of its recommendations, to send delegations or representatives to international conferences where such representation would be considered by it to be appropriate, and to report thereon to the General Assembly at its thirty-third session;
8. Further requests the Secretary-General to continue to provide the Committee with all the necessary facilities for the performance of its tasks, including summary records of its meetings;
9. Decides to include the item entitled "Question of Palestine" in the provisional agenda of its thirty-third session.
The General Assembly,
Having considered the report of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People,6/
Noting, in particular, the observations contained in paragraphs 38 to 42 of that report,
Recognizing the need for the greatest possible dissemination of information on the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people and on the efforts of the United Nations to promote the attainment of those rights,
1. Requests the Secretary-General to establish within the Secretariat of the United Nations a Special Unit on Palestinian Rights which would;
(a) Prepare, under the guidance of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, studies and publications relating to:
(i) The inalienable rights of the Palestinian people;
(ii) Relevant resolutions of the General Assembly and other organs of the United Nations;
(iii) The activities of the Committee and other United Nations organs, in order to promote the attainment of those rights;
(b) Promote maximum publicity for such studies and publications through all appropriate means;
(c) Organize in consultation with the Committee, commencing in 1978, the annual observance of 29 November as the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian people;
2. Further requests the Secretary-General to ensure the full cooperation of the Office of Public Information and other units of the Secretariat in enabling the Special Unit on Palestinian Rights to perform its tasks;
3. Invites all Governments and organizations to lend their cooperation to the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People and the Special Unit on Palestinian Rights in the implementation of the present resolution.
1/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-second Session, Supplement No. 35 (A/32/35).
2/ Ibid., Thirty-second Session, Plenary Meetings, 84th meeting, paras. 46-79.
3/ A/32/310, annex I, resolution CM/Res.580 (XXIX).
4/ A/32/255-S/12410, annex. For the printed text, see Official Records of the Security Council, Thirty-second Year, Supplement for October, November and December 1977.
5/ A/32/261, annex.
6/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-second Session, Supplement No. 35 (A/32/35).
Source: The United Nations.