United Nations General Assembly Resolution 31/20
November 24, 1976
The General Assembly
Recalling its resolution 3376 (XXX) of 10 November 1975,
Having considered the report of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People,1/
Deeply concerned that no just solution to the problem of Palestine has been achieved and that this problem therefore continues to aggravate the Middle East conflict, of which it is the core, and to endanger international peace and security,
Reaffirming that a just and lasting peace in the Middle East cannot be established without the achievement, inter alia, of a just solution of the problem of Palestine on the basis of the attainment of the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, including the right of return and the right to national independence and sovereignty in Palestine, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations,
1. Expresses its appreciation to the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People for its efforts in performing the tasks assigned to it by the General Assembly;
2. Takes note of the report of the Committee and endorses the recommendations contained therein, as a basis for the solution of the question of Palestine;
3. Decides to circulate the report to all the competent bodies of the United Nations and urges them to take necessary action, as appropriate, in accordance with the Committee's programme of implementation;
4. Urges the Security Council to consider once again as soon as possible the recommendations contained in the report, taking fully into account the observations made thereon during the debate in the General Assembly at its thirty-first session, in order to take the necessary measures to implement the above-mentioned recommendations of the Committee so as to achieve early progress towards a solution of the problem of palestine and the establishment of a just and lasting peace in the Middle East;
5. Authorizes the Committee to exert all efforts to promote the implementation of its recommendations and to report thereon to the General Assembly at its thirty-second session;
6. Requests the Committee to promote the greatest possible dissemination of information on its programme of implementation through non-governmental organizations and other appropriate means;
7. Requests the Secretary-General to give the widest possible publicity to the Committee's work and to provide the Committee with all the necessary facilities for the performance of its tasks, including summary records of its meetings;
8. Decides to include the item entitled "Question of Palestine" in the provisional agenda of its thirty-second session.
1/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Thirty-first Session, Supplement No. 35 (A/31/35).
Source: The United Nations.