The first aircraft designed at de Havilland's Canadian subsidiary, the DHC-1 first flew in May 1946 as a successor to the D.H.82 Tiger Moth. Large scale production took place in Canada and Britain up to 1956 and many were exported abroad. Among the type's many operators was also the Egyptian Air Force which employed the type as a primary trainer during the 1950s. The Chipmunk has a fixed tailwheel landing gear and tandem accommodation for the two crew, and is of an all metal stressed-skin construction.
The Chipmunk was one of three single engined trainers evaluated for the IAF's flight school during the early 1950s. The IAF purchased one example which arrived in Israel during May 1950 and although the type proved to be an excellent training platform, it also suffered from the local weather. The IAF finally rejected the Chipmunk for its relativly high price, the Fokker Instructor selected instead. The sole DHC-1, registered 3001, was still in IAF service during November 1951.
Sources: IAF Inventory