Timeline for Implementation
Initial Timetable from Wye River Memorandum:
November 2, 1998
- The Wye River Memorandum enters into force (Israel's attorney general says this will legally occur only after the Knesset approves the agreement).
- Palestinians present security plan.
- Trilateral security committee starts.
- Final status talks begin.
- Israeli Cabinet debates memorandum.
- PLO Executive Committee revokes Covenant clauses calling for Israels destruction.
- First land transfer by Israel of 2 percent from Area C to Area B, and 7.1 percent from Area B to Area A).
- Palestinian Central Council revokes Covenant.
- Palestinian National Council revokes Covenant.
- Second transfer of land by Israel.
January 24, 1999
- End of 12-week period specified in the memorandum for completion of Israeli land transfers.
- Palestinians complete collection of illegal weapons and reduction of police force to Oslo limit.
September 10, 1999
- The agreement takes effect.
- The first stage of withdrawal, in which 7
percent of Area C, under Israeli control, becomes Area B, under joint
- first 200 Palestinian prisoners are freed
- joint committee
convenes on prayers at the Tomb of the
- Final status talks begin
- all joint committees
as determined by Oslo convene
- the committee
on the third withdrawal meets
- Palestinian list of police is presented to
- Opening of the southern safe passage route
(contingent on achieving the detailed protocol);
- Gaza port construction
- renewal of Israel-Palestinian-Jordanian-Egyptian talks on 1967
- Deadline for deciding on location of northern
safe passage point entering West Bank.
- A second group of 150 prisoners is released.
- Palestinians report on weapons collection;
- Palestinians report on arrested terror suspects;
- review of Palestinian
- Economic committee completes its
- second stage of Shuhada Street opens to one-way traffic.
- Partial opening of Hebron wholesale market as a
- The second stage of withdrawal, in which 2
percent of Area B becomes Area A (full Palestinian control) and another 3
percent of Area C becomes Area B.
- Israel frees more prisoners, as has
been the tradition for years on the Muslim holiday of Ramadan.
January 20, 2000
- Third and final stage of interim
withdrawal, in which 1 percent of Area C and another 5.1 percent of Area B
become Area A, under full Palestinian control.
- Northern safe passage route between Gaza
and West Bank is opened, contingent on an agreed protocol.
- Target date for a framework for a final
Septemer 13, 2000
- Target date for an overall agreement.
Sources: Ha'aretz, (September 5,