Israel Sets Conditions
for Wye Implementation
On December 12, 1998, the Israeli government announced that it would carry out the next (second) stage of the Wye River Memorandum only when the The Palestinian Authority (PA) fulfills all of its commitments under that Agreement.
The Cabinet set five points based on the Wye
Agreement that the Palestinians must fulfill:
1. Refrain from a unilateral declaration on a Palestinian
state with Jerusalem as its capital.
2. The PA must halt the violence.
3. The PA must halt the incitement to violence.
4. The PA must refrain from demanding (in violation of
the Agreement) that Israel release murderers and
prisoners with blood on their hands.
5. The PA must collect and remove illegal arms, arrest
murderers residing in its areas and cooperate with Israel
in combating terrorism.
If the The Palestinian Authority fulfills all of these
commitments, Israel will carry out its part of the Wye
Agreement regardless of the date of elections in Israel.
Source: Israeli Government Press Office