THE ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN INTERIM AGREEMENT ON THE WEST
BANK AND THE GAZA STRIP
Release of Palestinian Prisoners and Detainees
- The release of detainees and prisoners, as agreed upon in Article XVI of
this Agreement will be carried out in three stages.
- The following categories of detainees and/or prisoners will be included
in the abovementioned releases:
- all female detainees and prisoners shall be released in the first stage
- persons who have served more than two thirds of their sentence;
- detainees and/or prisoners charged with or imprisoned for security
offenses not involving fatality or serious injury;
- detainees and/or prisoners charged with or convicted of non-security
criminal offenses; and
- citizens of Arab countries being held in Israel pending implementation of
orders for their deportation.
- Detainees and prisoners from among the categories detailed in this
paragraph, who meet the criteria set out in paragraph 2 above, are being
considered by Israel to be eligible for release:
- prisoners and/or detainees aged 50 years and above;
- prisoners and/or detainees under 18 years of age;
- prisoners who have been imprisoned for 10 years or more; and
- sick and unhealthy prisoners and/or detainees.
- The third stage of release will take place during the permanent status
negotiations and will involve the categories set out above, and may explore