(September 28, 1995)
Release of Palestinian Prisoners and Detainees
- The release of detainees and prisoners, as agreed upon in Article XVI of
this Agreement will be carried out in three stages.
- The following categories of detainees and/or prisoners will be included
in the abovementioned releases:
- all female detainees and prisoners shall be released in the first stage
- persons who have served more than two thirds of their sentence;
- detainees and/or prisoners charged with or imprisoned for security
offenses not involving fatality or serious injury;
- detainees and/or prisoners charged with or convicted of non-security
criminal offenses; and
- citizens of Arab countries being held in Israel pending implementation of
orders for their deportation.
- Detainees and prisoners from among the categories detailed in this
paragraph, who meet the criteria set out in paragraph 2 above, are being
considered by Israel to be eligible for release:
- prisoners and/or detainees aged 50 years and above;
- prisoners and/or detainees under 18 years of age;
- prisoners who have been imprisoned for 10 years or more; and
- sick and unhealthy prisoners and/or detainees.
- The third stage of release will take place during the permanent status
negotiations and will involve the categories set out above, and may explore
Interim Agreement between Israel and the Palestinians