Geographic Description


AUSCHWITZ: (Polish: Oswiecim)

  • Located approximately 60km (37mi) west of Krakow, in Eastern Upper Silesia, which was annexed to Nazi Germany following the defeat of Poland, in September, 1939

  • Site of Nazi death camp

  • The first camp was built shortly after Poland's defeat, in a suburb of Oswiecim (Zasole), and held about 10,000 prisoners

  • The second site, known as Auschwitz II, or Birkenau, was built 3km from the original camp, in March of 1941


[ Previous | Index | Next ]


Source: The Nizkor Project