de Havilland Mosquito
First flown in December 1940, the Wooden Wonder was built of ply and balsa. The first Israeli Mosquito arrived shortly before the end of the War of Independence, but it was only with the arrival of 67 former French examples in 1952 that the Mosquito squadron was formed. Eventually, more than a hundred examples were in service. Before the 1956 Sinai campaign the Mosquito squadron was active mostly in the reconnaissance role, using the Mosquito's long range and high service ceiling to bring back intelligence from as far as Baghdad and the Egyptian-Libyan border without the fear of being intercepted. Gathering was intensified in the months leading up to the campaign, with more than 30 sorties staged every month. Once operation Kadesh, Israel's part in the Suez campaign, was launched, the Mosquito was used primarily in the ground attack role, attacking both Egyptian force concentrations and enemy airfields. The type was finally retired in 1957.
Specification: de Havilland Mosquito FB.Mk VI
Source: The Israeli Air Force - IDF/AF [Unofficial].