- Dutch Oven
- Dutch Oven can also be used for steaming instead of Large Pot.
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Slotted Spoon or fork
- 1 med. head cabbage (about 3 - 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbs. grated onion
- 1 tbs. ketchup
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 paste - cans water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 - 1/3 cups sugar (to taste)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Cut off bottom core and remove top leaves from cabbage.
- Place head of cabbage in pot or dutch oven, 3/4 full with water.
- Bring to boil on high.
- Once it boils, lower burner to warm with cover on for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Remove cabbage carefully from the pot with a slotted spoon or fork and place on a plate. If you find this too difficult to do, wait till water cools down.
- If you are going to use the dutch oven later, make sure to remove all the water.
- When cabbage has cooled down a little, start removing each leaf from head of cabbage
- If bottom of stem is too thick, cut a small part of it off keeping the leaf intact.
- Cook rice according to box directions.
- Combine meat, egg, rice, garlic powder, onion and ketchup together in large bowl.
- In small bowl combine tomato paste, water, lemon juice, sugar, raisins and mix together.
- Depending on the size of the cabbage leaf put 1 - 2 tbs. of filling at the stem end of each leaf.
- Fold the sides over the meat towards the center and roll up the leaf forming a small package.
- Place cabbage packages seam side down in dutch oven.
- Pour sauce over the stuffed cabbage leaves.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 - 1/2 hours on low heat.
- Place cabbage rolls on plate and pour sauce over them.
Note: Tastes better the next day as the rolls will have absorbed some of the sauce.
Leftover cabbage can be cut up and placed in the bottom of the dutch oven before placing cabbage packages on top.
Source: Feed Me Bubbe