Aerial view of the Vught (Herzogenbusch) transit camp for Jewish prisoners in southern Holland. Constructed in 1942, Vught received its first prisoners, transfers from Amersfoort, on January 13, 1943. By May over 8,600 Jews were interned there. Most of the prisoners were employed inside the camp in the manufacturing of clothing and furs. For a time there were cultural and religious activities as well as a school in Vught, but the appointment of a new commandant in October, 1943, led to a dramatic decline in living conditions. From the beginning Vught prisoners would spend only a limited time in the camp before being transferred to Westerbork and deported to Auschwitz and Sobibor. The camp was liquidated on June 3, 1944. Photo date: January 1943-June 1944 (USHMM Photo).